Travel Insurance Bill of Rights
AwayCare is proud members of THiA; and our collective goal is to ensure every claim submitted has the opportunity to be paid. The industry has come together and designed the Bill of Rights and Responsibilities to deliver a clear statement as to what you can expect from your travel insurance policies along with responsibilities you have when purchasing travel insurance. The Travel Insurance Bill of Rights and Responsibilities builds upon the following golden rules of travel insurance:
- Know your health
- Know your trip
- Know your policy
- Know your rights
Everyone deserves a carefree trip and the Bill of Rights and Responsibilities will help provide all travelling Canadians with additional confidence in their travel insurance purchase knowing their company is supporting their rights as a consumer and making them aware of their responsibilities.
You Have the Right To:
- A No Obligation Purchase Your travel insurance provider will allow you a ‘10-day free look’.
- Be Informed You will receive your policy documentation and confirmation of coverage outlining the policy terms and conditions whether purchased in person, over the phone or online.
- Request Clarification You may ask questions about the travel insurance you have purchased.
- Review & Modify Medical Screening You will receive a copy of the answers you provided on the medical questionnaire prior to the start of your policy.
- Receive Worldwide Assistance & Toll-free Support You have 24/7 access to the help you need when you need it from your travel insurance provider.
- Fair & Prompt Claims Handling You will have a timely and transparent communication process.
- Escalate & Appeal You may challenge decisions and request additional reviews with new information.
- Confidentiality Your personal information will be protected in all dealings with your travel insurance provider.
- Know Your Insurer Your policy will clearly identify the underwriter of your travel insurance and the process to file and resolve complaints.
- Your Preferred Language You may transact and correspond about all components of your travel insurance in English or French.
You Have the Responsibility To:
- Provide Accurate Information The travel insurance application needs to be completed accurately.
- Understand Your Policy Take the time to read and understand your policy.
- Travel With Proof of Insurance Have your policy number and emergency assistance contact information easily accessible.
- Notify Your Travel Insurance Provider Provide prompt and timely communication when a claim situation arises and provide all requested documentation related to your claim including all relevant receipts.
For more information, watch this short overview of THIA’s Bill of Rights and Responsibilities